Sunday, December 5, 2010

Never Too Late


I used to think that holiday traditions had to be just that - traditional. Passed down through generations. I've done the same thing on Thanksgiving Day every year since I was born - until this year. This year I spent Thanksgiving with friends. We cooked and did jigsaw puzzles and yelled at the television during the parade. And the dog show. AND Miracle on 34th Street. Okay, and the Rockettes Christmas Spectacular. My friends like to yell (OUTSIDE of the library, of course). It was awesome.

I have a point, and here it is: You can make your own traditions, and you can start anytime. It's fun to do something special, and to say out loud that it's special. This year the library is hosting a read-a-thon of the story A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. If you don't know the story, it's spooky and terrific. Different voices coming together to tell a story. It is, well, special.

And if Dickens isn't your thing, the Teen Lounge has plenty of books (or movies!) that you and your friends can choose to read or watch together. Choose carefully, though. A new tradition is born every minute.

0 comments:

Post a Comment