Friday, October 4, 2013

OCTOBER 4: Childhood fears

If you read Ramona the Brave as a kid, you may remember the part where Ramona freaks herself out by looking at a scary picture of a gorilla in a picture book.  That gorilla scares the shizz out of her, but Ramona looks at it anyway.

I related to this 100%.  My scary thrill?  The picture of Dirty Dan that accompanied the Shel Silverstein poem "The Dirtiest Man in the World."

I had that page memorized so I wouldn't flip to it accidently.


Do you remember what frightened you as a kid?  Does it still creep you out now?  Sometimes what scared us when we were little makes no sense to us when we grow up.  Other times...
















Image: Shel Silverstein, Where the Sidewalk Ends. New York : Harper and Row, [1974]
 
I mean, COME ON.

1 comments:

  1. The leech scene in the movie Stand By Me. Nightmares and nightmares and nightmares for years.

    ReplyDelete