Saturday, May 4, 2013

Book to Screen, Holy Smokes.

I was going to do a short little roundup of  YA book --> movie releases this summer, and fell down an IMDB hole of upcoming (meaning in the next...year? or so?) movies that were adapted from books. MAN, you guys. They make a movie of everything! So here is my probably-too-comprehensive calendar of movie events. I tried to stick with just YA titles, and left a few off (because you guys KNOW about Catching Fire in Novemember, right?!? And you KNOW about World War Z, right?!?). But still. This list!

Here we go. In calendar order.

April 27
Geography Club by Brent Hartinger
This is actually out right now, in limited release. Limited release means it's showing in just a few cities, and often not at big multi-plex theaters. We're lucky in the Boston area, because lots of times it's easier for us to find movies in limited release than it is for someone in say, Wisconsin. I know this aired at the Boston LGBT film festival. 


 May 10
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald  
Don't worry, I'm not going to make you watch this trailer again. The release date has been pushed back so many times if we all watch the trailer one more time, we might not even want to see the movie anymore. Here's hoping May 10 comes quick, because I still think this looks spectacular. (How about I just link to the trailer. That doesn't count right?)

June 7
Tiger Eyes by Judy Blume  
I have a little personal history tied up in this book and movie, which I am sure I have mentioned before. All of that aside, it is a great book by one of our very best authors, and everything is pointing to the movie capturing the spirit of the book. I can't wait.



Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare  
Whether or not you like Shakespeare, you most likely have or will have to read him at some point. Those who find his dialog overwhelming on paper are often surprised by how different it becomes when they see it acted out. One of Shakespeare's most lighthearted plays gets the Joss Whedon treatment, and it looks like a lot of fun.



August 2
The Spectacular Now by Tim Tharp
There isn't a trailer out on this one yet, but I have read some really great things about it. I really enjoyed the book, and can't wait to see what they do with it! And it's not out until August, so you have a little time to read it beforehand!





August 23
The City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Oh man. This is going to be huge.


 November 1
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card  
You know when an older celebrity dies, and it's on the news, and you are very sad about it, but kind of surprised because you had assumed that they died a long time ago? That's how I feel about the Ender's Game movie. When I heard they were making it I was glad, but also like How is that not a movie already? Oh well, it is now!


Okay,  I thought I had seen a trailer for this.
But when I looked it up, it was just a bunch of fan-made trailers.
And one hilarious thing where
they titled a video "First look at
Ender's Game movie!"
But it was just one still from the movie
which they did a VERY slow motion zoom-in on
for like 2 minutes, then asked "HOW EXCITED ARE 
YOU TO SEE THIS MOVIE?!?" Hahaha. But seriously, how excited
ARE you?



In Development
AND THEN there was this whole list of movies that were "in development" which means the project is just starting to happen. No release date, some don't even have a cast listed yet, but man, look at this list!


 
 There are actually WAY more, but you get the picture. Now, I'm not sure at what point an "in development" movie project gets its own IMDB entry, so things could change. But it looks like we're going to have a lot to look forward to. If you're into this sort of thing.
 


 
 

1 comments:

  1. I know for a fact that Vampire Academy already has a cast list and is scheduled for release February 14th, 2014. I'm psyched :D

    ReplyDelete