Thursday, July 15, 2010

Scary read, real place



Straight out of Danvers! If you ever saw the horror movie, Session 9, then you are already familiar with Danvers State Hospital, which provided the spooky exterior setting. Also known as the Danvers Lunatic Asylum, the building opened in 1878 and closed in 1990, and was crumbling into ruins last I heard.

Project 17 by Laurie Faria Stolarz is also set at Danvers State Hospital, and also brings the creepy. You cannot set a story in a place rumored to be "the birthplace of the lobotomy" and have anything but serious heebie jeebies.


Quick summary: six teens sneak into the abandoned asylum to spend the night and make a film. Hmmm...I wonder what happens?

I mean, just look at the place! I guess at some point they wanted to turn it into luxury condos, but does this say anything but "HAUNTED?"














You can learn more about it here. Make sure you look at the pictures of the tunnels! I'm telling you: Perfect Horror Setting. Come check out the book -- just promise me you won't get any crazy, late-night building exploration ideas.

0 comments:

Post a Comment